"Journal Ephemera Storage"

 Gday Everyone

I am back with a little project I started a week ago and in between my shift work, I have managed to finish and start using it. 
If you are like me, my Junk Journal Ephemera (die cuts, doilies, tags, journal cards, etc) is never sorted and where I can find things when I want to add them to my journal or make something.....
I have tried endless ways to store it and have tried zip lock bags, containers, baskets etc, but nothing really works. I am always wasting time looking and it becomes a mess...
I decided to do something about it and get it more organised and user-friendly by making a journal and folios to house it all in and divided it into categories.

To start, I knew I wanted to use different papers from my scrap box and use them to collage......Music sheet, book pages, scrapbook paper, ledger paper, gift wrap, lined paper, all sorts to create some texture.   I am using my stash and I didn't buy anything for this project......


I cut down some file folders I had to 7 3/4 x 10 3/4" and tore up random pieces of paper. No rhyme or reason, just some no stress cut and pasting. This is just fun and it doesn't matter what you put down it always comes out nice. 



Once, I had the inside covered with some scrapbooking paper, I added some washi tape down the spine on both sides just for a bit of extra strength as they will be handled a bit once bound in the cover. For a bit more interest I added random strips of it on the covers also.....



I mainly added larger pockets to hold larger items like journaling cards, postcards, etc. I did a few with some smaller pockets also for die cuts, tags, etc.


As you can see I decided to sew mine in, but a strong PVA glue around the edges will work well also.  


I made about a dozen folios, and I am sure I will fill them. They have come up very nice and are sturdy for a lot of handling.




I was going to use a part made book cover that I had started, but as the folios will expand I decided to re-use some Amazon packaging, that was an ideal size and they already had a spine.  I used book tape which I just get from Bunnings Hardware here in Australia, to strengthen the cardboard spine. To add some texture I just glued down some old tissue sewing pattern. This crinkles and I love the look and feel of it.....


This has given me a good size journal, but I have made two for all the folios I made :)



I wasn't sure about the colour for this journal but decided to go Vintage and use Burnt Umber Kaisercraft Acrylic Paint. I generously covered it on the outside then around the edges inside and over the tape.



You can see the really cool texture this technique gives you. If you didn't want to do this you could just paint, or cover it with a napkin, pattern paper etc...... When dry I sealed them with my homemade mod podge sealer.  They have a lovely rustic, squishy, soft feel to them.....



To tidy up the inside, I just used some Botanical book pages and cut them down to size. I left a bit of a border around each one.



You can see above, how my folios fit nicely into my covers.



To bind the folios into the covers, I just used some seam binding pieces. I wrapped each one around the spine and tied a bow. I like this way of binding my journals as it allows you to take things out and move them around if needed...... You could also use, elastic, headbands, twine, anything that you have. You could also stitch them in if preferred. I like the spines to be decorated, with fabric, lace, etc :)



I am not as into decorating my journal covers as much as I used to be. I do some, depending on their use. They sit on my shelf or desk together and you don't really see them.



I made these cute bookplates for their titles, so I know what is in each of them. I just cut a bit of cardstock, added a bit of lace and pattern paper. I stitched around them, but you can just glue them down and then stamped the title. 



Above, you can see some of the items I now store in my Ephemera Journals and they have made me more organised and I will use them now I can find them :)
When they open they are flat and I can get to what I want to use very easy.



You can see they easily stand on their own and house a heap of goodies. I am happy I took the time to make them and now I will be using them to house my ephemera stash and any ephemera I make......

I hope you have enjoyed having a look at my Ephemera Journals and you might have a go at creating your own inexpensive one of a kind storage for your stash.

I hope you pop back as I am making some large journal cards/tags from craft supply packaging to show you :)

Thanks for stopping by

Hugz K x







  




































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"One Little Word - 2022"

Lets Get Started - What Is A Junk journal?