"2021- My Last Post"

 Happy end of 2021 Everyone,

We made it through 2021, now to see what this year has planned for us............. My biggest goal atm is to get back to work asap :)  


 My last post for 2021, is a share of the journals that I made for my men. They draw and journal quite a bit, so of course, that got me thinking.....



I found three great condition Sherlock Holmes books and they were the perfect sizes to make new journals from. I keep the text block, that I cut out of each, to use the pages in other projects. They are great for collage and mixed media.




I cut some chipboard to size to fit the spine and tore some calico for the length of the spine and over the top.



I just ran the edges around with a zig-zag stitch so they wouldn't keep fraying. I wanted them to have a grungy feel and I also inked them with distress oxide ink to darken them a little.




Before I glued down the fabric, I added some themed paper to both sides of the inside covers to give them a finished look. 

To make the binding I used another piece of chipboard, punched a hole on both ends, then added a large eyelet and threaded elastic to hold all the pages. I did a double loop, to hold two lots of papers. I then used a very strong glue to stick it down onto the spine and I put some heavy books on top of it for a while to make sure it didn't move.

This is how the spines look from the outside. I cut off the long pieces of the elastic and I ended up using some extra to make bookmarks with the clip on them.


I used lots of coffee dyed paper, digitals that I printed out and other things from my stash in them. 





I roughly added 80 pages for them to use, with a mix of lined and plain paper. When they use it up, I can replace the paper in it for them, as the signatures are not sewn in. They can also just add notebooks if they want to and they will always have the cover to keep.....



I ended up making three, as I loved all the books.


To finish them off I made a writing board for each journal an extra notepad and a letter from me :)
I am so happy I made these for the men in my life. They now have something to keep, that is personal for them and handmade by me xx
I hope you enjoyed a look at these male themed journals I created. I am so glad I made them and their reaction on Xmas morning made it all worthwhile.


Happy NY and looking forward to sharing lots more creations with you, in 2022.
Hugz K xx





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"One Little Word - 2022"

"Journal Ephemera Storage"

"Altered Book" - Part 1- Prepping Your Book