Lets Get Started - What Is A Junk journal?

 Hi Friends,

I thought the best place to start is to tell you a bit about Junk Journals....I talk a lot about my Junk Journals but sometimes I think my friends and blog followers don't quite get what all the hype is about :) 

The official definition is Junk Journal: A book that is often made through found and recycled materials to be used as a way to collect and record memories, thoughts, ideas, and inspiration.

Basically a "Junk Journal" is a journal you can use for anything you want it to be and made out of anything also. I like using old book covers, making my own covers and upcycling cardboard packaging. 

It can be made of as many or as few recycled pages/materials as you want. 

There are many uses for a Junk Journal:  Everday Journal, Planner, Art Journaling and Mixed Media, Memory Keeping, a Gift, a Themed book, like Xmas and a Glue Book. 

The best part is there are no rules and you use them for what You want!!!

I have been playing around and creating Junk Journals and Altered Books for about 5 years. I love using them as much as making them and I have given a few away as gifts also for friends to use. 

You can make them with basic supplies that we crafters probably have in our stash.....

1.  Choose a Subject or Purpose for your journal. It could be for gardening, for personal use, a celebration, anything...

2. Choose a Binding Method -I use a No-Sew Binding, but you can sew or do whatever you are comfortable with.  

3.  Collect the supplies and tools you will need - like Glue, paper, trimmer, scissors, old book, ephemera, pattern papers etc. When I make a Journal, I find it easiest to go through my stash and pull out anything that I think I might like to use.

4. Assemble/Prepare the Book or Base - This is prepping the cover, cutting down pages to fit, punching holes or some stitching.

5. Fill it up - Put in your journal what inspires you, makes you want to create and anything that makes you happy.......You may like your journal very organised or like me; I just go with the flow and create as I like, and not in order. I like using layers, ephemera, ribbon, stickers, postcards, tags, stamping, you name it!!! I make pockets and extra place for journal cards, lots of envelopes to hide things in and that makes your journal interesting :)

I will be in my next post, very soon, taking you through my Step By Step Process of making a journal :)

There are some wonderful Tutorials on YouTube to give you an idea of how to get started in this fun and rewarding craft. there are also some great FB Groups for fun and inspiration also.  


I like the Paper Outpost for great Tutorials :)

Please don't feel overwhelmed and I would love you to play along with me and make your own......

Thanks for Stopping By
Hugz K x






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"One Little Word - 2022"

"Journal Ephemera Storage"